NEWRY 

SAND’S MILL NEWRY / NEWRY MAN LOST

SANDS MILL NEWRY
A long exposure of Sands Mill Newry on a fresh January’s Night.
Clanrye Mills was originally owned by Abraham Sinclair & Son but was purchased by Robert Sands in 1886 who had a meal business in Merchant’s Quay in Newry. He imported maize (Indian corn) from as far away as South America and this was ground into maize meal to feed farm animals. Sands owned eight barges or lighters for transporting the grain from Warrenpoint via the Canal in Newry to the mill. He also purchased the Newry Reporter and printing business after its premises were burnt down in 1910 and moved production of the newspaper to premises at Clanrye Mills.
Robert Sands died in 1915 and his milling business was purchased by four of his senior staff, Messers Breakey, Corkey, Craig and Lyons. They traded under the name Robert Sands Ltd. The business is now owned by Fane Valley Co-Operative Society Ltd.
SOURCE: Newry & Mourne Museum
PRINTS ARE AVAILABLE: www.newrymanlost.com

Related posts

Leave a Comment